Attention All P.E.A. Delegates:
Please click the link to take our Delegate survey: P.E.A. Delegate Survey
Negotiations Takes Turn Towards Progress:
May 31, 2017 —-8:35 PM
Members of the PEA:
As you know, the Union filed a notice of impasse on May 24, 2017. We did so because we felt that the P.E.A. team went as far as we could go in negotiations and needed the assistance of a mediator to resolve our outstanding issues. Our team understands that time is precious. Thus President McEntee made communication shortly after last week’s negotiations session to keep the talks moving. We believe that the District has now realized that they too could have done more to make progress towards a negotiated agreement. More than that, both parties kept an open mind about the importance of continued talks. After all, any delay hurts our members.
Tonight we met with the District and I am thrilled to report that we have reached a tentative agreement on five (5) issues that will certainly benefit our membership. Our next scheduled meeting will be in mid-June, and the P.E.A. hopes to make further progress.
While we are cautiously optimistic there still remains major unresolved issues in regards to salaries and health benefits. We still believe that these issues will take a great deal of time before we can reach a resolution and may ultimately need to be brought to the various phases of the negotiations process. However, the team felt that it was important to share this bit of progress with you.
The P.E.A. Negotiations Team
Updated Info for renewal:
Below are links to two (2) important documents. The first is a document outlining for you the process of accepting employment for the upcoming school year. The second document is the form letter that you should fill out to accept employment. I have taken a great deal of time to speak with our NJEA Uniserv Representative. As you know, May 15, 2017, is quickly approaching. My office has already emailed and posted to this website the documents for all non-tenured certified employees to fill out and hand deliver to 90 Delaware on May 16, 2017. At the 4/26/17 P.E.A. Delegate meeting, a question was raised inquiring if Instructional Assistants (inclusive of I.A.’s and P.A.’s) must also complete this paperwork and submit it on May 16, 2017.
P.E.A. has reviewed the contract (specifically Article 15:1). Based on Article 15:1, Instructional Assistants, and Personal Assistants (WITH LESS than two years of employment in Paterson) who do not receive a non-renewal or renewal letter by May 15, 2017, should follow the process outlined above.
Any IA or PA with more than two years of employment in Paterson is NOT required to follow this process because their employment is renewed automatically in the same manner as a tenured certificated employee.
Document 1: Employment Acceptance Letter 16-17
Document 2: Employment Acceptance Letter Cover 16-17
There are a few pieces of information that we believe you should be made aware:
1. On or before May 15 in each year, every board of education in this State shall give to each non-tenure teaching staff member notification of employment for the upcoming school year.
2. The form letter that is attached should be personalized with your information, and hand delivered to the Human Resource Department on the 3rd floor of the Central office located at 90 Delaware Avenue.
3. We recommend bringing two copies. One of the two copies that you hand deliver, should be time stamped by the recipient. Please keep that for your personal records.
4. If you choose to utilize the US Postal Mail to submit your letter, please do so by certified mail return receipt requested.
5. While you can deliver this up until June 1, we STRONGLY recommend hand delivering on May 16, 2016.